Sunday, October 12, 2008

Tomatoes, at last.


The haul, originally uploaded by gingershana.

So this was my haul two weeks ago, now sitting in the freezer as eight pints of spaghetti sauce. I was slightly scientific about it, buying four plants each of two different varieties of heirloom sauce tomatoes. Those are Black Russian on the upper left and Principe Borghese on the upper right. I kept them separate and made two batches of sauce. I think the Black Russians were denser, and I know they produced more fruit. Five pints of sauce, compared to three for the Principe B. Of course, it may just be that they handled our ridiculously cold spring better. In which case, I'll definitely plant them again.
The cherry tomatoes, which got taken to work to share, were an unknown yellow pear and Matt's Sweet Million teeny tiny red ones. They were VERY sweet.
I picked the last of all the tomatoes yesterday and made another three pints of sauce. There's absolutely nothing like the smell of a day-long-simmered tomato sauce full of herbs and garlic. Mmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Look at you, reading our blog!
We like comments....